Hello everybody, I hope you’re having an amazing day today. Today, I will show you a way to make a distinctive dish, greek moussaka. It is one of my favorites food recipes. This time, I will make it a little bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Greek Moussaka is one of the most well liked of recent trending meals in the world. It’s easy, it is fast, it tastes delicious. It’s appreciated by millions daily. They are nice and they look wonderful. Greek Moussaka is something which I’ve loved my whole life.
To begin with this particular recipe, we have to first prepare a few components. You can have greek moussaka using 30 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Greek Moussaka:
- Prepare Eggplant:
- Get 2 lbs. eggplant, peeled, cut length wise into 1/2" slices
- Get 1/2 cup olive oil
- Take Beef
- Prepare 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Make ready 1.5 lbs. ground beef (or lamb)
- Get 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- Make ready Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- Prepare 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Prepare 3 tbs. tomato paste
- Prepare 1 cup red wine
- Prepare 1 (28 ounce) can) chopped tomatoes, drained
- Prepare 2 tbs. fresh mint, chopped
- Take Potatoes
- Get 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled, cut crosswise into 1/2” slices
- Make ready 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Get Béchamel Sauce:
- Get 5 tbs. unsalted butter
- Prepare 1/2 cup flour
- Take 2 cups milk (warm)
- Get 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Make ready 3 egg yolks
- Take 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- Get 1 lemon, zested
- Take 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Take 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- Get 1 flat leaf parsley for garnish
Instructions to make Greek Moussaka:
- Season the eggplant slices on both sides with salt. Cover with a paper towel to soak up the moisture. Set aside for about 20 minutes.
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium-high heat with a small amount of olive oil. Add the beef and the spices and begin browning the meat. Break up the meat as you cook, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a large strainer and drain off the liquid.
- Return the pan to the heat and add a bit more olive oil and then add the onions and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the tomato paste, mix this around, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine to the pan, along with the tomatoes. Bring this to a slight boil and reduce the heat to low-medium.
- Fold the meat in and cook this stirring occasionally until this thickens a bit, about 20 minutes. Stir in the mint and season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet (cast iron is good) over medium heat. Working in batches, add the potato slices and fry until tender and lightly golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Add oil if necessary. Transfer to a 9x12 baking dish or casserole dish.
- Place the eggplant slices in the same skillet (with olive oil) on medium-low heat. Sauté them lightly on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Add oil to prevent sticking or drying out. Transfer to the baking dish.
- For the Béchamel: - Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the warm milk gradually while stirring lightly.
- Continue to heat this and whisk slowly until thickened. This will take several minutes. Season this with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, and then add the grated Romano cheese and lemon zest and mix.
- Fold this into the sauce pan and lightly whisk until smooth. Keep the sauce pan warm over very low heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Layer the potatoes evenly on the bottom of a large baking pan (or casserole dish). Spoon a third of the meat sauce on top and sprinkle this with a light layer of Parmesan cheese.
- Next layer the eggplant slices evenly on top and cover with the remaining meat sauce and a light sprinkling of cheese.
- Pour the béchamel sauce over the top and spread evenly with a large spoon. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and add a light dusting of bread crumbs.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet (drippings), and bake at 375˚until browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. This process will allow the pan ingredients to congeal. [Sliced portions will stay intact and not slide when serving]
- When ready to serve, reheat oven at 350˚ and warm the entire pan for 20-25 minutes. Use a spatula to make cuts for individual servings. Top each slice serving with a sprig of parsley.
So that’s going to wrap it up with this exceptional food greek moussaka recipe. Thanks so much for reading. I am confident you can make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food in home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!